Note

PLEASE NOTE - WORK SHOWN ON THIS BLOG IS COPYRIGHT - PLEASE CONTACT ME BEFORE ADDING TO PINTEREST OR TO ANY OTHER SITE. THANK YOU.

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Lovely Day and Small Challenge

Yesterday Emma and I went to the V&A museum to the Surrealist Exhibition - it was brilliant., although I am still not sure whether I quite understand Surrealist art!

Elsa Schiaparelli
'Tear' Evening Dress 1938
The motif of torn dress or flesh first appeared in Dalí's 1936 painting 'Three Young Surrealist Women Holding in Their Arms the Skins of an Orchestra'. Schiaparelli's interpretation of this motif combined the illusory and the real. The fabric was printed with a l'oeil pattern of torn flesh, while the tears on the mantle were appliquéd. Pale strips of fabric peel back to reveal a livid pink beneath.


Does anyone fancy a small challenge? Whilst training our office junior the other day I came across some paper fasterners with washers, like those shown below. The only problem is we have a largish box of just the washers. Rather than throw them out - being a recycling bunny I decided to bring them home. How can they be used in some form of textile art? If anyone wants to have a go at the small challenge... email me your snail mail address before June and I'll sent you 20 -30 of them. Then you can do something exciting with them and email me photos by the beginning of July and I will post them here on my -blog. If I can think of one I may even come up with a prize for the most inventive idea! So who wants to play