Saturday, October 18, 2014

More Free Machine Stitching

Today I spent another happy day with Jane Lemon - working in her workroom.  I created another free machined piece - this is going to be photographed and used as this years Christmas card (once I have ironed it of course!!) .....

Friday, October 17, 2014

Welcome to Podley and Otis..

So here is my character Podley - designed, drawn and machine embroidered by me..

Podley picks a daisy


Podley Poses in Purple
 This one  will not have a background as it was just a try out.  More Podley pictures to come soon!!

Also here is a picture of the latest addition to my daughters household.. 8 week old Otis   (as in Otis Red(kit)ing)

Knitting and Stitching Show

This years Knitting and Stitching show seemed to be full of felting - or at least that is what I feel I was drawn to this year.  Maybe that's what I should be making?  Felt? I will think about that.  I was particularly drawn to the following pieces.....

 Then I also liked the following machine embroidered pieces...

And I also just had to buy some books - these two on felt pieces.......
 This last one, on the left, is for inspiration for later to go with the one I already have , on the right.
maybe that's anther costume in mind??  Oh I have so many ideas in my head and not enough time to do them.  I will also show you Podley in the next post as the first two pictures are done!!

Monday, September 29, 2014

Linda Miller Course and Sam Toft for inspiration

Just back from a fantastic weekend at West Dean College where I was on a course with the brilliant Linda Miller - click here for her Website. Linda is so inspirational, generous with her time and encouragement.  The ladies I met on the course too were brilliant and we hope to keep in touch, and maybe meet up again. Here we all are - the 'show and tell' at the end of the course...

On the course we were machine embroidering pictures - I chose Sam Toft, for my inspiration - click here for her website, as I just love all her work. Both ladies have inspired me to create my own character - Podley - He is still a work in progress so you will have to wait for more on Podley.
For the moment - here are the three pieces I stitched.....

This is called - A little tenderness - I added the background and Mr Mustard's hat came out more of a cap than it should, and I was too 'scared' to do the faces. It is small - measuring 7.5 cm x 11 cm.

Next is my favourite as I have the print in my living room - It's called 'Taking the Girls Home' - I just love it!  I also added the background - measures 6.5cm x 8.5cm (below it is the original)

Finally is the one I am still to finish - It is called  A chariot of Fishfinger Sandwiches - lovely title and lovely print - this one is a line drawing on Sam's site so I am colouring it in and giving it a background. This one is the biggest at 18.5cm square.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Non sewing creativity

Why is it that whilst I am not allowed to eat (I can only have my special liquid diet bottles) I want to cook? OK - so I have been diagnosed with Crohn's Disease - I have an urgent hospital procedure on Tuesday - Yuck!!

Anyway yesterday  I  made Gingerbread Latte Fudge, Black Forest Fudge and then some plain coffee fudge making up my own recipe!!

The first two are from a lovely book, which goes with the recent TV series - Sweets Made Simple (starring Hope and Greenwood).

Today, once I have finished cleaning the house, I hope to get back to my next Zentagle Doors piece.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Tangled Doors

I won't bore you with the diagnosis of my illness - but tell you about my latest piece of work instead! I have spent another lovely weekend with my friends in MEG. I have just finished another Zentangle stitched piece based on my doors project from a few posts ago .....
I just need to mount it now.
I am going to plan the next one as I am really enjoying Zentangling like this.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Brilliant Exhitibition

Whilst in Poole this weekend I have been to a great exhibition at the Upstairs Gallery at Upton Country Park - click for the link here.  Two of the artists are friends of mine - Sue and Chris.  All the work was absolutely stunning - here are some of my favourite examples - it is still on until Monday 28th July so if you are in the area do go and see it, it is very inspirational.

Sunday, July 13, 2014

New Work

Sorry it has been a while since I last wrote but I have a) not been well - still, b) its been too hot and sunny to work and c) I have been busy :-)

I have had two wonderful weekends away with my lovely textile art friends - the first weekend was with the MEG group in Salisbury. The second was a long weekend (Friday to Tuesday) with the group Textile21 where we were in Kingcombe.

So what was I doing? Firstly making more of my Waste Not Want Not products - I now have Mug rugs, brooches and bracelet/cuffs -
NEXT - I finished off stitching on the Doors piece I have already shown you - then I started work on a Zentangle version of my Doors piece - its A3 in size and as you can see is still a work in progress.
 FINALLY - I started another piece - it is much bigger and although it has started off in the same method  - as I work on it, it may change.  I can only show you the work in progress at this time as it has a very long way to go.
I chose two of my favourite door photos and cut them in two sizes - arranged them in a pleasing design, then doubled, mirrored and off set it.
The textile background is still in the Wendy Dolan technique of white on white fabric then painted, although I have found online that this technique has been used for many many years by loads of other artists so its not just Wendy's technique. Anyway - white on white then painted in a delicate violet and azure blue.

 Here I have just started the stitching of the design outlines.