Note

PLEASE NOTE - WORK SHOWN ON THIS BLOG IS COPYRIGHT - PLEASE CONTACT ME BEFORE ADDING TO PINTEREST OR TO ANY OTHER SITE. THANK YOU.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Passing on the skills

My daughter studied theatre studies at uni and did do some costume making but her interest in textiles has come and gone over the years, a try at embroidery when she was little but nothing much. Then yesterday I had the MRI scan on my shoulder - not a pleasant experience for someone with claustrophobia!! Anyway it was very early in the morning so after it my daughter (who had taken me) suddenly expressed a desire to try making a patchwork cushion in a sort of Cath Kidston style! So we went to find a fabric shop in Bath - we found a lovely shop called Country Threads (link HERE). We spent quite some time looking at fabrics and I explained that patchwork should be precise and is not necessarily a quick fix idea (she is like me - impatient - wants the end result now without the working). Still she convinced me that £28 worth (Thanks Mum !) of lovely fabrics later she would do this properly!! And if not I would have the remainder of the fabrics anyway!! The lovely pile.... to start off with she did draw out an idea but that was abandoned (no surprise there) for a lets just do approach (like her mum :-)) So she chose a few pieces from her charm pack and cut them, arranged them ... and joined them - this is where we finished yesterday, as we both have a day off work today she is coming back to carry on.So far, so good!!

In the meantime I dyed some fabric to match for backings (the pink below is much lighter in real life for some reason the pic makes it look red). Here is her piece on one of the backings - you can see some of the ribbons we also bought to decorate the edges. I think she might be hooked (or at least I hope so). The other reason I think this is because I received a text early this morning to say she has logged into my ebay account and is watching 80 (yes 80) sales of fat quarters, charm packs and jelly rolls !!!!! NOOOOOOOO what have I started - a Stash Collector??!!. Even if it does not go further she, like me, is beginning to drool over fabric!!

No comments: