As I was not too happy with the tops I made last weekend - thinking I had nothing to lose - I undid the neckline of one of the stretch tops and instead of removing the front panels (which I did think I could) I just added a strip (bit of a botch job on the shoulders - but only I know where). At least it feels more comfortable - not quite so open. If I do use this pattern again I will make the front pieces bigger at the shoulders.
Then on the rather 'boring' first top I have cut the bottom off, added a piece and gien the top a frill. Also found a little bit of toning ribbon and have outlined the frill and around the neck - there was not enough to do the armholes but I think it has made a little bit of an improvement.