Note

PLEASE NOTE - WORK SHOWN ON THIS BLOG IS COPYRIGHT - PLEASE CONTACT ME BEFORE ADDING TO PINTEREST OR TO ANY OTHER SITE. THANK YOU.

Saturday, January 03, 2015

Artist block - Frustration

It's 3rd January 2015 and I am sitting in my very messy 'workroom/studio' with an incredible sense of frustration - I have once again lost my focus and I need help. I guess if I look back over this blog, which I have now written, on and off since 22 October 2006 ie (8 years, 2 months and 12 days excluding today!!!) there have been other times of similar frustration but today it seems worse than ever.

Over the years I have made/created lots of different textile items -
I have made:
Dolls, bowls, books, hangings, costumes, bags, scarves, jackets, pictures, quilts, jewellery, - plus lots more in fact - you name it I have made it !
I have used:
Wool fibres, silk fibres, any variety of fabric, paper, aluminium cans, Tyvek , I have made my own fabrics, plus lots more in fact - you name it I have used it !
I have:
Stencilled, painted, dyed, machined and machine embroidered, melted, burnt, cut, rusted, stamped plus lots more in fact - you name it I have done it !

My head is full of things I want to do but nothing is coming out - don't say write down some ideas and then work on them because I have tried that too.  When I say 'lots of things I want to do' they are usually ideas of more of what I have already done or something I have seen others do,

My main frustration today is that I want to do something for more than five seconds  - ie something that can become my long term focus  - I know I made costumes for several years - and I did enjoy that and I do have ideas in my head (and even in a sketchbook !!) for more 'costumes' namely more jackets but they are not happening.  I am stuck with where to start - hence the making scarves over the last few days.

I have a room full of 'stuff' that I want to use up (or get rid of), I want to make work that I can sell, that people will want to buy, that will be affordable and unique. The costumes are obviously not suitable.

I have enjoyed 'colouring in' with my machine recently especially the Sam Toft pictures, or the flower fairies but I can't sell them because of copyright reasons (I can continue to make them for myself). I tried my own character - Podley - but don't like him any more.

So there you have it - I am truly stuck!

1 comment:

Living to work - working to live said...

Difficult to know what to suggest. I get stuck, but I'm pretty good at getting going again with just a bit of studio play time. Maybe just a bit of Sketchbooking to loosen you up again?