Note

PLEASE NOTE - WORK SHOWN ON THIS BLOG IS COPYRIGHT - PLEASE CONTACT ME BEFORE ADDING TO PINTEREST OR TO ANY OTHER SITE. THANK YOU.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Whitchurch Mill in the Sun

I have spend two lovely days at the Whitchurch Silk Mill - I was there to talk about my costumes first to the ladies of the Southern area of the Costume Society and then yesterday the ladies from Salisbury Embroiderers Guild. They were all very interested and enjoyed looking at a selection of bodices and corsets I had also taken with me.  Below are some pics of things at the Mill which I found interesting - other than the actual machinery which is brilliant but these are other bits.... 
As you approach the mill the streams on either side not only have ducks and the Swan with signets but are full of rainbow trout which gleam in the sunlight and are not easy to take pictures of, but they are beautiful..





Then you approach the water wheel which makes a lovely sound. Although it is not moving too fast it is difficult to take non blurry pics.
On the way up the stairs at the back of the Mill which leads you into the working spaces and the machinery - at the top of the stairs hidden in the top of a gutter is this delightful sight!!  



Unfortunately I was unable to take a picture of Mum or Dad because they were obviously aware of the need to protect these little ones but I did see them flying about around the Mill - I was able to get this close up from a good distance - I have a good zoom lens.


You could tell when Mum and Dad were close because the four youngsters would shout....

They are yellow wagtails and look like this stock photo when grown.  I hope next time I visit the Mill they are still around and growing.




The large cogs as you enter the Mill are  powered by the water wheel and don't go very fast but again my pictures look like they are moving fast. I took over 70 photos just yesterday and may consider working on a Mill related piece at some point!!

No comments: